I'm an artist at life.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Let's think about this...

In my last remaining hours-long spans of free time before I start working next week, I've been guiltlessly watching wedding planning shows on instant Netflix. I'm not ashamed.

"Breakfast at Tiffany's" is a common wedding theme I've noticed. I need diamonds and pearls and black and classic and that oh-so distinguishable turquoise. Cliche, yes, but hey, it's your day.

No, what really bothers me is that I don't know if any of these people have actually seen (or read) Breakfast at Tiffany's. If they had, they'd realize that Holly Golightly was a pitifully shallow woman who tried to fill the emptiness in her life with jewelry. Her only purpose was to be a socialite and her livelihood was the $50 that nightly dinner companions gave her as she went to the powder room. She ran away from every person with whom she formed a real relationship, and whenever any pesky "feelings" came around and threatened this fake life, well she'd just go eat a croissant in front of Tiffany's, because nothing bad could ever happen there. In essence, she was exactly what Holden Caulfield would have called a phony. In the end, Fred shakes it out of her and she admits that she needs him and all is well. However I don't think this is what most brides are trying to capture with this theme.

I like the movie, I like old Hollywood glam, I like class. But when I pick my wedding theme, I think I'll avoid the statement "Hey friends and family, I'm way into materialism and don't know how to cope with the real world." Maybe that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment