I'm an artist at life.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Please, please get this already.

I realize that most of the people who read this will probably already agree with me, and that posting it here will really not do much good, and that I have a history of ranting blogs, but I need to get it out.

"Immigrants need to learn English. They chose to come here and if they want to fit in and be successful, they need to learn our ways. I shouldn't have to learn Spanish for them, but if I moved to another country I'd be respectful enough to learn that language".

America does not have an official language. Got it? None. Not English, nothing. In that sense, language is like a free market: languages enter in and out of popularity along with the amount of people who use it. English seems to be the most dominating language, so we consider it the norm. But when a new player comes in, ie the Spanish-speaking population, the increasing presence and use of that language is not an unfair accommodation to foreigners which shoves aside American rights, it is simply the free market of language adapting to the abundance of a new population. They've made a new norm. Considering that this is a free country with no single ethnic or racial history, leaving the growing Hispanic population with every right to language domination (though I highly doubt that is their goal, but that's another argument), if you don't like it you had best find a country that actually has a right to claim language preference and see what it's like to get by there.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment